Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- In 2014, the center installed 4,758 solar panels that will produce 1,202kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 153 homes' electrical use for one year!
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways as much as possible and only uses the trucks power by gas when necessary.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center is working to implement new lighting protocols that will allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience. Additionally, we use timers on the lights to minimize energy consumption.
- The center follows a protocol for our HVAC units to conserve energy.
- Escalators are on energy efficient soft-starts. We have synced the starting times to fit mall hours.
- During initial construction, rain sensors were installed to minimize water consumption.
- We distributed reusable tote bags and energy efficient light bulbs to more than 550 guests as a Random Acts of Kindness.
- We are working with our retailers and asking them to turn off their lights when not in use.
- We’re working to communicate with our retailers via e-mail to conserve paper usage.
- Whenever the center gives items to our guests, we try to use recycled items. For example, we’ve distributed hundreds of recycled FlatIron Crossing notepads, a thousand recycled pens and more than 1,200 reusable tote bags to other important visitors.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building